Tournament questions

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Bdun111

Bdun111

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 04:14 PM

Being newer, why would someone playing a Par 5, purposely not take the first and second shot, when going first, only to lose by getting Par?

#2 Sonicblast12

Sonicblast12

Forum Addict

• Members
  • 1019 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 04:20 PM

Trying not to qualify. The reason, to scout the course or get the failed to qualify offer which is always cheaper.

#3 Bdun111

Bdun111

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 06:46 PM

Learn something new everyday. Thanks. I would at least play each shot, just to test other clubs.

#4 golfreak12

golfreak12

Honored Member

• Members
  • 952 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:15 PM

You know you can ask questions about the tournament in the tournament thread. You don't need to make a new thread Everytime you need to know something.
There's another thread titled Musings and such.....you can ask quick questions there too without making a new thread Everytime you want to know something.

#5 Bdun111

Bdun111

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 02:01 AM

Thanks.

#6 HipKip

HipKip

• Members
  • 283 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 02:28 AM

Being newer, why would someone playing a Par 5, purposely not take the first and second shot, when going first, only to lose by getting Par?

I’ve learned this from the best in here. Done it twice this qualifier for the offers.

Edited by HipKip, 14 February 2018 - 02:29 AM.

#7 34handicap

34handicap

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 01:48 PM

Learn something new everyday. Thanks. I would at least play each shot, just to test other clubs.

or play to the green -using the shots to try new approaches to the hole, then forfeit (giving the opponent a free eagle)

#8 Sonicblast12

Sonicblast12

Forum Addict

• Members
  • 1019 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 02:03 PM

That’s the main reason to keep going. Just an example, I’ll play a round on Monday cold to get a feel for the course, the winds, and get screenshots from that. If I have a mistake free round going after 6 or 7 holes I’ll usually just qualify.

This Monday I missed my eagle on 1 and hit OB on 3. I would most likely finished with -10 at best, but don’t want to qualify with that score since it’s used as a tiebreaker in later rounds. That can be the difference of several places. So I hit all my shots and then putted around the green and made a -5 or so. I also don’t play this scouting round until after I know what the qualifying score will be.

#9 HipKip

HipKip

• Members
  • 283 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 03:03 PM

That’s the main reason to keep going. Just an example, I’ll play a round on Monday cold to get a feel for the course, the winds, and get screenshots from that. If I have a mistake free round going after 6 or 7 holes I’ll usually just qualify.
This Monday I missed my eagle on 1 and hit OB on 3. I would most likely finished with -10 at best, but don’t want to qualify with that score since it’s used as a tiebreaker in later rounds. That can be the difference of several places. So I hit all my shots and then putted around the green and made a -5 or so. I also don’t play this scouting round until after I know what the qualifying score will be.

I agree with this 100%. I needed some special balls this go round, so I made sure I was going to be in the bottom each time before I practiced a few approaches. I’ll get another special offer today as soon as I open the app. Had I not needed the balls, I too will qualify early if I am doing well. You never know when your going to have a bad day. Hopefully, I get a decent qualifying score today.

#10 Bdun111

Bdun111

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 06:03 PM

Thanks. This is really good information. Previously I thought you had a better chance by entering earlier. I never thought of purposely not making the cut. Probably just had enough money to enter the one, ha. And waiting to see what the cut is helps, especially now. I just checked my standing and out of the 20 players, 16 made the cut and 4 didn't. How will GF explain the wording listed at the cut line, "Top 50% Play a minimum of three games "? The last group making it are numbered as spot 10, the others, 17-20.

#11 Bdun111

Bdun111

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 06:39 PM

So, since I assume that higher level tournaments have better offers, this means that if i have the funds, i could enter any tournament? Just for the offers?

#12 Jonas

Jonas

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 06:42 PM

You can enter any level tournament as long as you have reached that level yourself. If you have an expert banner you can’t enter masters yet.

#13 Bdun111

Bdun111

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 06:51 PM

Oh, ok. Does that apply to new players, as far as Rookie tournament, because i have played people with around 200 games but never noticed what level they were at.

#14 KoreyBoy

KoreyBoy

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 06:57 PM

So, since I assume that higher level tournaments have better offers, this means that if i have the funds, i could enter any tournament? Just for the offers?

I'm not sure, but I believe it is actually the exact opposite.  I think the deal is the same (500 gems, same amount and type of special balls, some coins) but the price in real money is higher.  I do think the coins go up for the better deal, but I pay real money for more coins. 

#15 HipKip

HipKip

• Members
  • 283 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 02:49 AM

Oh, ok. Does that apply to new players, as far as Rookie tournament, because i have played people with around 200 games but never noticed what level they were at.

For Pro losing qualifier offer, I got 500 gems, 100,000 coins and 25 katanas for $2.99. The gems and balls are worth the most to me. Not sure what the offer would be for higher up?

#16 Allen121

Allen121

• Members
  • 135 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

Posted 15 February 2018 - 03:09 AM

I purposely lose so I can get more practice time. Don't really care about the offers (I mean Katanas, really?).

#17 HipKip

HipKip

• Members
  • 283 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 03:40 AM

I purposely lose so I can get more practice time. Don't really care about the offers (I mean Katanas, really?).

Sorry, but “really” katanas for me. Its better tha 15 km for $5.99. I also do not have millions or billions of coins. I only buy the cheap non qualify offers, nothing else. I don’t have the best clubs, still working on that also. So, sorry I don’t meet your ball expectations, but it will work for me.

#18 Allen121

Allen121

• Members
  • 135 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

Posted 15 February 2018 - 03:42 AM

Sorry, but “really” katanas for me. Its better tha 15 km for $5.99. I also do not have millions or billions of coins. I only buy the cheap non qualify offers, nothing else. I don’t have the best clubs, still working on that also. So, sorry I don’t meet your ball expectations, but it will work for me.

I only say that because they used to give out Titans. Then about 4 tournaments ago, they switched to Katanas. I actually really like Katanas as an everyday ball on the higher tours.

Edited by Allen121, 15 February 2018 - 03:43 AM.

#19 HipKip

HipKip

• Members
  • 283 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 04:05 AM

I only say that because they used to give out Titans. Then about 4 tournaments ago, they switched to Katanas. I actually really like Katanas as an everyday ball on the higher tours.

I’m saving them up for T9. I have around 120 of them. Just have to build my bank up first. Oh yeah, and you’re right about the titans. The titan at one time was my favorite ball.

Edited by HipKip, 15 February 2018 - 04:07 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users