Tournament tiebreakers

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Bdun111

Bdun111

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 02:24 AM

So, my wife just finished her first Pro tournament at -10.

Currently there are 5 people at -10,and she is in the 4th position.

When comparing her tiebreakers with the ones above her, she is the only one who shot every hole below par, but since the others had one more eagle than her , she is lower, ugh.

My question is about the three above and their tiebreaker.

They all have the same number of eagles,and birdies, so why would one be ahead of the other?

There is a possibility that one or two of them, below the highest -10, might not make the qualifying.

Am I missing something? They all finished thier matches, and thus tournament whoever finished earlier dosent matter.

Finally, not paring any hole should count for something.

#2 Slick

Slick

• Members
  • 288 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 02:36 AM

The one more eagle counts more for the others. Click the =. This was explained in the update.

Rewarding risk taking over playing it safe.

#3 ChrissyMac

ChrissyMac

Honored Member

• Members
  • 769 posts
  • LocationNottingham

Posted 13 February 2018 - 02:43 AM

The top 3 are equal and are only in a certain order because of who finished the round first. They will have an equal tiebreaker for the next round.

#4 Bdun111

Bdun111

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:07 AM

Finishing first is not part of the tiebreaker rules.

However, I am reading the rules for tournaments tiebreakers on the "Help" part of the game and it states, "Rule 2, impressive scores, will compare Albatross, Eagles, Birdies, and then Pars".

I personally just finished my round and am under two others with the exact same everything.

I am a B&W type person when it comes to Rules, regulations, policies, etc.

If this tournament is anything like the previous, then there will be people that don't make the cut, or weekend, that aren't going to be happy. I am high enough not to worry, but my wife might not make cut, and the tiebreaker rules, listed in the tournament part don't mention Pars. I just looked at her standings again and there ard five players at -8, three with the same impressives, and two are currently not making the cut.

The one just above them has three pars.

#5 Bdun111

Bdun111

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:18 AM

Here are some current scores, not in the order they are ranked.

http://imgur.com/xdOgjw0

#6 Bdun111

Bdun111

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:19 AM

If one or more of those players miss the cut, what would be the reason?

#7 Jame

Jame

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:00 AM

This new scoring system is dumb. I'm tied for 4 cuz some guy hit an extra eagle with a par. They should change it to overtake if you have less pars.

#8 ChrissyMac

ChrissyMac

Honored Member

• Members
  • 769 posts
  • LocationNottingham

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:11 AM

Agree with you Jame. They should have those that finish on the same score are equal, and just use previous round scores as a tiebreaker. It might mean more tied positions but I'd rather share say 5th position with 4 others than finish 9th because I played more consistently.

#9 HipKip

HipKip

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:20 PM

It is definitely weird I would say. I like parts of it better, but other parts are ******************ed up? For example, not everyone is in the same time zone. Therefore he who finished first just because it is his normal hours, but not for you, needed to be addressed for sure. Definitely not fair. But, exact tie scores with one person getting shoved out of the cut isn’t right either?

#10 golfreak12

golfreak12

Honored Member

• Members
  • 961 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:56 PM

This new tie breaker might not to good for everyone but its a h3 ll lot better than who finished first.

#11 Sonicblast12

Sonicblast12

Forum Addict

• Members
  • 1023 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 04:05 PM

This new scoring system is dumb. I'm tied for 4 cuz some guy hit an extra eagle with a par. They should change it to overtake if you have less pars.

I agree, I posted a dumb round with a lucky HIO and a stupid par. If I had birdied both I would lose that tiebreaker.

#12 Bdun111

Bdun111

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 04:10 PM

The wording for the tiebreakers, if you go through the "Help" section of the game has changed since yesterday. It separates Qualification, Opening and Weekend. Weekend rules, by order; Opening round scores, then Qualifying, completed matches, impressive scores in weekend round, then opening.

"Players tied aftet all of this will share prize"

However, they have not addressed the question I asked yesterday.

I sent them a screenshot showing 4 players, with exactly the same everything, so why didn't two of them not make the cut for qualifying? How is that sharing?

Same score, same number of matches, exactly the same number of eagles, birdies and pars.

#13 Jak65

Jak65

Forum Addict

• Members
  • 1059 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 05:01 PM

Agree with you Jame. They should have those that finish on the same score are equal, and just use previous round scores as a tiebreaker. It might mean more tied positions but I'd rather share say 5th position with 4 others than finish 9th because I played more consistently.

I believe some variation of that is going to happen for final round scores, based on what I read a couple weeks ago.  Doesn't help for qualifiers or opening rounds.  

#14 Bdun111

Bdun111

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 06:55 PM

I have been taking screenshots of the qualifying standings and just within the last few hours at the "Qualification Zone", where it states, "Top 50%-play a minimum of 3 games", which would be 10 of 20, there is three #10's. It was 1-10,with all numbers, now its, 1(2), 3(3), 6(1), 7(1), 8(1),9(1), 10(3).
So, if everyone does tie on all of the tiebreakers, the are splitting. Good

#15 joek0

joek0

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:33 PM

I like the idea of the impressive scores tie breaker, but it could be tweaked a little better to be more fair. In the current system, your pars mean nothing if you get lots of eagles and albatrosses. I think for the impressive scores tie breaker, it can be similar to the modified Stableford scoring system. (https://en.wikipedia...wiki/Stableford).

The modified Stableford system is basically a scoring system based on the number of strokes per hole. If we used the one in the Wikipedia page, albatrosses would be 8 points, eagles 5 points and so on. These scores would be used for the impressive scores tie breaker. Playdemic could set the score values themselves and this is a more fair system with this tie breaker.

#16 Jak65

Jak65

Forum Addict

• Members
  • 1059 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 08:34 PM

I like the idea of the impressive scores tie breaker, but it could be tweaked a little better to be more fair. In the current system, your pars mean nothing if you get lots of eagles and albatrosses. I think for the impressive scores tie breaker, it can be similar to the modified Stableford scoring system. (https://en.wikipedia...wiki/Stableford).

The modified Stableford system is basically a scoring system based on the number of strokes per hole. If we used the one in the Wikipedia page, albatrosses would be 8 points, eagles 5 points and so on. These scores would be used for the impressive scores tie breaker. Playdemic could set the score values themselves and this is a more fair system with this tie breaker.

PGA used to do a tournament with that system, I think it'd be interesting to do one here, although you'd still need tiebreakers and need to come up with a way to let people finish the hole regardless of what your opponent did.  Probably a lot of reprogramming, but interesting concept.

#17 Bdun111

Bdun111

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:36 PM

Most tournaments use,this type.
If players are tied, you check who had better, last 9, 6, 3,1, holes.

#18 OughtOught

OughtOught

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 04:32 AM

One of my accounts is tied in score, but below another player because they have an albatross. BUT, they also have a PAR and I have 3 eagles and 6 birdies. That is an issue I think. Might not be perfect, but still better than the time thing.

#19 Jonas

Jonas

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 07:31 AM

Edited by Jonas, 15 February 2018 - 07:43 AM.

#20 delboy

delboy

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 10:03 PM

It's not ideal but much better than who finished first. I've noticed more people taking there time to finish the tournament knowing it doesn't matter how long it takes them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users