• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 Allen121

Allen121

• Members
  • 135 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

Posted 15 February 2018 - 12:19 AM

The 3rd step/guide is for scenarios without wind, right? So basically never :)

In the guide, I mention that you should always adjust your shot as if there's zero wind before adjusting for wind. The reason for this is because you want to see where your ball will land. Seems like a no brainer, but I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen players adjust for wind first and then make their normal adjustments. In doing so, you’re essentially aiming blind which can result in your ball landing in the rough, bunker, or out of bounds.

#22 Jonas

Jonas

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 12:45 AM

What i mean is that the ballguide is affected by the wind, so you need to do more than just adjust for the wind number otherwise the wind will stretch the ball guide. You know? If you have a wind of 12, aim for the pin, adjust your rings, you'll still be waaaay off because of how the wind affects the ball guide. The ball guide is stretched about 1 square on green per 6 wind.

Edited by Jonas, 15 February 2018 - 12:48 AM.

#23 Allen121

Allen121

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 01:00 AM

What i mean is that the ballguide is affected by the wind, so you need to do more than just adjust for the wind number otherwise the wind will stretch the ball guide. You know? If you have a wind of 12, aim for the pin, adjust your rings, you'll still be waaaay off because of how the wind affects the ball guide. The ball guide is stretched about 1 square on green per 6 wind.

Totally agree. This guide is meant for beginners with less than 5 mph wind.

#24 Bdun111

Bdun111

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 04:53 AM

I understand wind, I fly for a living, what I sometimes don't understand is what my wife just experienced.

She and the other player were both chipping from almost the exact same spot,about 20 yards out, one with 3.4 mph the other with 2.8mph, same direction, using the same wind resistance ball. Player with 3.4 adjusts the ball guide line a little to the left of the hole, and same with swing ball. The 2.8 aims straight at the pin, and no other adjustments.

End result,

One ball ends up in the right side of the hole, the other ends up 7" to the right of the hole.

Any guess which wind speed shot went in the cup?

#25 Thinjake

Thinjake

• Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 03:08 PM

I understand wind, I fly for a living, what I sometimes don't understand is what my wife just experienced.

She and the other player were both chipping from almost the exact same spot,about 20 yards out, one with 3.4 mph the other with 2.8mph, same direction, using the same wind resistance ball. Player with 3.4 adjusts the ball guide line a little to the left of the hole, and same with swing ball. The 2.8 aims straight at the pin, and no other adjustments.

End result,

One ball ends up in the right side of the hole, the other ends up 7" to the right of the hole.

Any guess which wind speed shot went in the cup?

One thing that may have affected it is the green itself.  When you are setting up you aim point, move it around and check for oddities.  I have found many a green where if I move the target a fraction, the ball guide changes dramatically!  Sometimes, it changes from rolling out to stopping dead.  Other times, it changes it from turning left to moving right.  

#26 Bdun111

Bdun111

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 03:27 PM

Thanks. Yes, I made sure to double check everything before posting. The ball that didn't move went into the hole moving the distance between pin and right side of cup, and the one that appeared to be setup correctly moved at least one foot.

Personally I have messaged support several times, with attached screenshots, that I show the math for, projectile motion with air resistance as it relates to my ball traveling the distance to the hole, based on their listed parameters, wind, % ball resistance etc. And use same math on other shots, and the one have issues with always is off, on their end. Of course since I am not a rocket scientist, only a pilot, I attach documentation proving the errors in mathematical algorithms.

I would just like to hear a, "Yes, the error in wind could be on our part", instead of the standard reply.

Sorry for babbling.

#27 HipKip

HipKip

• Members
  • 283 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 03:54 PM

I would just like to hear a, "Yes, the error in wind could be on our part", instead of the standard reply.

Good luck with that. Lol! They don’t admit they are wrong very often. If I were a betting man, you are going to get the standard reply.

#28 Bdun111

Bdun111

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:27 AM

Oh really, you think. The first hole I played after posting this message, I get a straight 4mph headwind. I lined up my short wedge shot a bit in front of hole, with a little backspin. The freaking ball lands exactly where my original aim point was, wind had no effect. Oh well. At least I am not tied with 17 others at (-21)

#29 Fullofitray

Fullofitray

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:57 AM

There is a minimum (when your club will transition to a shorter club if you pull it further back), half, and maximum extension.

Driver, wood, and long: 75%, 87.5%, 100% (min, half, max)
Short: 50%, 75%, 100% (min, half, max)
Wedge: 25%, 50%, 100% (min, half, max)

What about rough and sand? Same as wedge?

#30 Jonas

Jonas

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:02 AM

No rules apply to rough and sand shots.

#31 Allen121

Allen121

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:11 AM

I multiply the wind per ring for my rough and sand by 2, then use 25% for min and 50% for half. For example, a Nirvana 7 has an accuracy of 100. Normally that means 1 mph per ring. So with 10 mph wind, you'd think it would be 10 rings. But that's not accurate! It should be 2 mph per ring, so your adjust would be 5 rings at max extension.

However, I rarely use the min and half references and just go by feel. The ranges are too wide with these clubs, so I estimate based on how far I am from my ball. Wedges, rough, and sand take experience to learn how to use them and estimate how much to adjust. But the first step is to learn the wind per ring (e.g. Nirvana 7 = 2 WPR) to give you a baseline.

#32 Jonas

Jonas

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:46 AM

I play sand and rough clubs at 1.7 rings per wind at full power, 2 per at mid and min.

#33 Hornet

Hornet

• Members
  • 290 posts
  • LocationHertfordshire, England

Posted Yesterday, 09:45 AM

1.7 at full distance works for me with rough irons too. I'm a little more towards 2 with sand iron as I play Spitfire which hangs for longer

#34 Klefticuf

Klefticuf

Forum Addict

• Members
  • 1069 posts
  • LocationLeicester, England

Posted Yesterday, 11:57 AM

Oh really, you think. The first hole I played after posting this message, I get a straight 4mph headwind. I lined up my short wedge shot a bit in front of hole, with a little backspin. The freaking ball lands exactly where my original aim point was, wind had no effect. Oh well. At least I am not tied with 17 others at (-21)

You'll do better posting your screenshots/videos & expectations here. My bet is you'll get a better response and more accurate answer than you do from support.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users