Wind speed distance adjustment

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Bdun111

Bdun111

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 05:19 PM

Hello. When playing a Par 3, or any applicable distance, what kind of adjustments need to be made for your "Ring" numbers, being that you are closer? I read that its like 25%,50%.So, if I was using a Guardian, with
2.88, 1.44, I would scale to roughly 2.00 and 1.00?

#2 Allen121

Allen121

• Members
  • 135 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

Posted 13 February 2018 - 04:49 AM

There is a minimum (when your club will transition to a shorter club if you pull it further back), half, and maximum extension.

Driver, wood, and long: 75%, 87.5%, 100% (min, half, max)

Short: 50%, 75%, 100% (min, half, max)

Wedge: 25%, 50%, 100% (min, half, max)

#3 Bdun111

Bdun111

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 04:12 PM

So, i would adjust the rings as normal then compensate for shorter distance by pulling back lesser, or more?

#4 Allen121

Allen121

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:37 AM

Let's say you have a Guardian 6, which has an accuracy of 78 and 1.44 WPR (wind per ring). With 5 mph wind, you would adjust it by 2.6 (min), 3.0 (half), or 3.5 (max).

#5 Jonas

Jonas

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:56 AM

It depends on the hole. There are long and short par 3's.

#6 Jonas

Jonas

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:58 AM

So, i would adjust the rings as normal then compensate for shorter distance by pulling back lesser, or more?

If you're at mid length with a long iron, you'd compensate for 12.5% less wind than your number shows. 

Edited by Jonas, 14 February 2018 - 07:59 AM.

#7 Rjs

Rjs

Honored Member

• Members
  • 558 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:06 AM

Use best long or wood you have,curl it in,forget wind ring data it lies.

#8 Allen121

Allen121

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:17 AM

Ring data doesn't lie. You just have to take into account other factors like wind direction, elevation, club extension, etc.

#9 Shane

Shane

• Members
  • 332 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 02:19 PM

Lol she’s back!

#10 Bdun111

Bdun111

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 06:59 PM

I just really started using the Ring method, and am currently not to happy using it, except maybe for Drivers. I played first day of tournament using Ring, next day not, and did much better without. Probably because I need more practice using it. I have more issues with the Wind not acting the same way alk the time. I played the same Par 3, exact left to right wind speed, 6.7mph, same club and ball, same ball setup and one landed twice as far right as the first.

#11 Jonas

Jonas

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:34 PM

I just really started using the Ring method, and am currently not to happy using it, except maybe for Drivers. I played first day of tournament using Ring, next day not, and did much better without. Probably because I need more practice using it. I have more issues with the Wind not acting the same way alk the time. I played the same Par 3, exact left to right wind speed, 6.7mph, same club and ball, same ball setup and one landed twice as far right as the first.

Sorry, but if the conditions were identical, but the outcomes weren’t, there’s user variation somewhere ie you haven’t adjusted the same.

Edited by Jonas, 14 February 2018 - 07:37 PM.

#12 Thinjake

Thinjake

• Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:37 PM

Sorry, but if the conditions where identical, but the outcomes weren’t, there’s user variation somewhere ie you haven’t adjusted the same.

Additionally, the ring method should have more or less confirmed your original "eyeball' landing zone.  It doesn't change the game mechanics....it's merely one way to judge the effect of the wind.  

You either didn't utilize the ring method correctly or something else changed.  

#13 QQstarS

QQstarS

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:32 PM

Very simple. You just need to evaluate current aim ratio of target with max range.

For example, drive max is 240, wood is 180. So 180/240=0.75, so say when you max distance, go ahead. If reach minimum distance that switch to wood, would be 0.75 of the wind.

For example, you have apo4, acc66, outer ring = 150-66=84, say, currently you have 8.4mph wind, so when you max dis, will be outer ring. But to minimum dis, will be 0.75x8.4, equals as 6.3mph wind, move to around mid of ring3 ro ring4.

Drive max = 240
Wood max = 180
Long max = 135
Short max = 90
Wedge max = 45

So will get: drive min = 0.75, wood min = 0.75, long min = 0.66, short min = 0.5

#14 Shane

Shane

• Members
  • 332 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:57 PM

No one said there would be math 😵

#15 Sonicblast12

Sonicblast12

Forum Addict

• Members
  • 1019 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 10:08 PM

*eyes glaze over, drags finger, hits shot*

#16 ChrissyMac

ChrissyMac

Honored Member

• Members
  • 769 posts
  • LocationNottingham

Posted 14 February 2018 - 10:15 PM

*eyes glaze over, drags finger, hits shot*

Seems to work for you though Sonic 😉

#17 Jak65

Jak65

Forum Addict

• Members
  • 1056 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 10:18 PM

I picture some people playing this game locked in their office with spreadsheets and graphs all over the place.  I'd never get a shot off.  I'll stick to playing in the recliner with a beer in the cupholder and TV in front of me.  But props to those who invest the time, it certainly pays off for you.

#18 Jonas

Jonas

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 10:22 PM

I picture some people playing this game locked in their office with spreadsheets and graphs all over the place.  I'd never get a shot off.  I'll stick to playing in the recliner with a beer in the cupholder and TV in front of me.  But props to those who invest the time, it certainly pays off for you.

I put this on my head to keep up with all the math.

http://dazedimg.daze...0/5/1135340.jpg

#19 Allen121

Allen121

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 12:00 AM

1. Watch this short video tutorial to help you understand how wind and your club's accuracy can affect your shot: https://youtu.be/PaLJ8EZ3iY8?t=89.
2. You can find a basic wind calculator at https://goo.gl/7S7g2K.
3. Read this guide on adjusting your shot to put it all together: https://goo.gl/BKVLML.

Personally, I memorize the approximate wind per ring (WPR) of my clubs and estimate it when playing tours 8 and lower. But when I play tours 9-11, I have to use the calculator because often times games are decided by inches and the winds can be 15+ mph and doing the math (e.g. 15 / 1.68) can be challenging. A lot of it just takes practice and becoming second-nature.

#20 Jonas

Jonas

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 12:16 AM

1. Watch this short video tutorial to help you understand how wind and your club's accuracy can affect your shot: https://youtu.be/PaLJ8EZ3iY8?t=89.
2. You can find a basic wind calculator at https://goo.gl/7S7g2K.
3. Read this guide on adjusting your shot to put it all together: https://goo.gl/BKVLML.

Personally, I memorize the approximate wind per ring (WPR) of my clubs and estimate it when playing tours 8 and lower. But when I play tours 9-11, I have to use the calculator because often times games are decided by inches and the winds can be 15+ mph and doing the math (e.g. 15 / 1.68) can be challenging. A lot of it just takes practice and becoming second-nature.

The 3rd step/guide is for scenarios without wind, right? So basically never :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users