Help with shootout hole. Juniper Point

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Bdun111

Bdun111

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 01:37 AM

I have played the hole in the attached link, Juniper Point Hole 1 Par 3, lots of times, and even after getting some help from the forum, I still tend to average around 3ft from the pin, usually in the same area. It doesn't matter what club I use, ball or wind speed/direction. In the link the collage picture shows the suggested path for the ball, followed by text suggestions, advising use lots of backspin. Also, I show my wind adjustment and where my ball landed, in the other two pictures.

http://imgur.com/X2543Eb

#2 Sonicblast12

Sonicblast12

Forum Addict

• Members
  • 1019 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 01:45 AM

This one is hard. Still not that good at it, but I can get it under 2. Try stretching out your long iron to go over the bunker with a little bit of right spin, but not too much. If you take a more direct line at the hole you can hole it, and it will roll back and stay reasonably close if you miss. Rolling it down the hill won’t usually get it close enough.

#3 Shane

Shane

• Members
  • 332 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 01:45 AM

Send me a Facebook request and I’ll show u

#4 golfreak12

golfreak12

Honored Member

• Members
  • 952 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 04:35 AM

Yup, the key on this hole is find a club that can shoot over the sandtrap with enough backspin. 

Go directly at the hole at much as possible so you're not rolling down from the hill. Also give it a couple of right side spin to offset the rolling down the hill.

Which tee are you playing from ?? I have a lower account that I get this hole often on T5(front tee) and I have no problem with a BB.

#5 Bdun111

Bdun111

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 06:05 AM

Thanks. I have never tried a direct approach. When I first started I was from the Rookie tee but play from the second now.

#6 Bert70

Bert70

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 06:42 AM

I use lvl 5 Tsunami. From the pro tee I put the end of the ball guide a fraction past the fringe on the green five squares right of the hole. For tailwind I use no spin. Crosswinds either direction I use 1 bar of topspin. Headwind I use 1.5 to 2.0 bars of topspin. I give it a very slight curve right. I have had about 10 HIOs using this approach. I am usually no more than 1.5 yards from hole if I hit a perfect shot.

Edited by Bert70, 10 February 2018 - 06:44 AM.

#7 Algebra Teacher

Algebra Teacher

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 03:00 PM

I have been getting this hole a ton. I have two approaches however:
1) Basic Ball - I have to play it with near full stop and let it hit on top of the hole so it trickles down. I have a BB for it many times.
2) Non-Basic Ball - I got right at it using side spin. Maybe shade slightly right and let the ball roll at it with semi full stop. I usually play T7 with my sniper. The side spin is very helpful to achieve as curl can be more inaccurate (imo).

Edited by Algebra Teacher, 10 February 2018 - 03:01 PM.

#8 Bdun111

Bdun111

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 03:16 PM

Thanks for your help. In the link I have labeled where I understand the suggestions from Bert and Algebra should have my ball landing.

The red is Bert, the yellow then blue are the first and second of Algebra.

I usually use a Guardian 5, but have a Backbone 9, Saturn 9, Sniper 7, Viper 9.

http://imgur.com/Lz5HmM8

#9 dylangc

dylangc

• Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 05:25 PM

With a guardian 5 you can go direct to green with full backspin, unless you have a huge headwind. Put the end of the ball guide about 2 yards to the right of the hole. Make sure not to go short or the ball will roll a bit and you might end up too far to win the shootout. With this method I can usually leave the ball less than 2 yards from the pin, and that is enough to win 90% of shootouts.

With a guardian 6 you can do full backspin and put the end of the guide about 1 yard right and 1 yard behind the hole. This will take the odd bounce on the edge of the fringe out of play, and I feel like this one is a little more tolerant to 'great' shots.

Thanks to 'Bo' for showing me this shot a couple of weeks ago. Before that it never even occurred to me to try the shot w/ full backspin, and since then I managed several HIOs on this particular par 3.

#10 Algebra Teacher

Algebra Teacher

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 08:06 PM

Thanks for your help. In the link I have labeled where I understand the suggestions from Bert and Algebra should have my ball landing.

The red is Bert, the yellow then blue are the first and second of Algebra.

I usually use a Guardian 5, but have a Backbone 9, Saturn 9, Sniper 7, Viper 9.

http://imgur.com/Lz5HmM8

I play both my shots landing points on the fairway between bunker and fringe. Not too close though. Just a little sw of your red mark.

#11 Bdun111

Bdun111

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 12:37 AM

I had typically adjusted to the wind and used just a couple of backspin with right or left spin using most clubs that popped up when I played that hole, and was always within 3ft. This was when I was really new, but when I found forums like this, I came across a "Tip", from Tommy, I think, suggesting to use Guardian, tad past hole, straight line, full backspin. So, on my second attempt doing that, i holed it. However, now I am back to staying around 3ft. I can't read the reply post when typing, but did I read that someone lets ball hit in the rough before the green?

#12 Bdun111

Bdun111

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 12:42 AM

Side question-Algebra Teacher, does your name inmply you know about math? If it does then i will post questions about ball distance from club to pin, and winds effect on the ball. 9mph wind didn't move my standard ball ANY, chipping from 20 yards, wind pretty much right to left.

#13 OughtOught

OughtOught

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 02:08 AM

I like a guardian on this hole. I place the red ring next to the bunker and at the edge of the fringe. I wedge in to that spot with no over lap 5 bs/2 right side spin if cross wind and ever so slightly, but not past the arrows curl the ball against the wind I hole about 1 in 10 and am never outside 2 yards. With head wind I do 4.5 backspin and with tailwind 5.5.

#14 Jak65

Jak65

Forum Addict

• Members
  • 1056 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 03:17 AM

I use a guardian and aim pretty true unless there’s a headwind then I adjust 25% more length. Two bars less than full bs and one bar side spin to the right. Have a couple hio and usually under 1.7

#15 Bdun111

Bdun111

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 04:24 AM

So, i have been lucky enough to get this hole for a shootout quite a few times today(4), in Tour 7.I played it 3x with Guardian 5 1x with Sniper 8.
However, the closet got was 2.85 ft, and furthest was 3.25.

#16 Algebra Teacher

Algebra Teacher

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 11:57 AM

Side question-Algebra Teacher, does your name inmply you know about math? If it does then i will post questions about ball distance from club to pin, and winds effect on the ball. 9mph wind didn't move my standard ball ANY, chipping from 20 yards, wind pretty much right to left.

There are others here who are better fit for those questions. I am still learning and making my own mistakes.

#17 Bdun111

Bdun111

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 02:53 AM

Update. Thanks for everyone's help.

I have played this hole about five times and using your tips have landed every shot within 2 yards. Ty

#18 Jonas

Jonas

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 03:55 AM

I use a guardian and aim pretty true unless there’s a headwind then I adjust 25% more length. Two bars less than full bs and one bar side spin to the right. Have a couple hio and usually under 1.7

This is my approach as well. 5.5 backspin, one sidespin right, adapt ball guide depending on wind except for headwind where I add 25% length.

#19 Hornet

Hornet

• Members
  • 290 posts
  • LocationHertfordshire, England

Posted 14 February 2018 - 12:04 PM

I always think the key to this hole is using back with right sidespin to stop the ball rolling too far left.     My pitching point is below the red mark on the screenshot but on fairway between green and bunker.   Aiming slightly right of hole.

You can aim further right and roll down towards the hole too, as long as you have the sidespin to slow the roll down.   Often people roll it from the right but it runs too far.

There are loads of approaches i've seen though.  Dependent on the club you prefer.  Experiment with the helpful suggestions from peeps on here and find what works best for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users