Photo

Random Thoughts, Questions or General Musings.

• Please log in to reply
532 replies to this topic

#501 Bdun111

Bdun111

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:12 PM

I guess what I am asking is, is it better to let the ball run to hole or use backspin to put it at hole?

#502 Jonas

Jonas

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:21 PM

Hard to know without knowing which hole, what elevation you were shooting from etc. a BB9 has a ball guide of 3.4, it won’t show you the last bounce of the ball guide, if you click on your club in the bag, it’ll show you how much of the ball guide is visible to you.

#503 dylangc

dylangc

• Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:21 PM

So is tour 9 just a 100% total and complete cr@pshoot? I've been playing t9 for weeks and while I'm winning slightly more than I'm losing (at a rate of probably net +25 trophies a week), I don't feel my skill level on the courses is improving much at all, unlike previous tours. There are a couple of holes (mainly Oasis) that are an automatic loss with a huge headwind, but other than that pretty much everything goes to a shootout.

And on the shootouts I'll hit a 1.5y shot followed by my opponent hitting 1.1y. Next hole I end up playing the same shootout and hit 12.5y... and my opponent hits 22y.

I wish there were some consistency to grasp onto, but unfortunately everything feels like a coin flip.

#504 Jonas

Jonas

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:23 PM

There’s no universal answer, sometimes you need to aim short, sometimes long, it depends on the wind.

#505 Jonas

Jonas

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:29 PM

I played tour 9 with katanas on every hole, to give me an upper hand with especially the two oasis shootout holes. I don’t think I’m a super skilled person, but I sailed through tour 9 without notes for the shootout holes, I was stuck on earlier tours much longer. On tour 10 I have detailed notes for how to approach each shootout in different winds and even then it’s a crahpshoot sometimes.

Edited by Jonas, 14 February 2018 - 07:29 PM.

#506 hooksalot

hooksalot

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:34 PM

I breezed through all the tours up until Tour 9.  To me the shootouts are extremely inconsistent.  I can take the same shot and get different results.  Been on Tour 9 for over 2 weeks and only have about 300 trophies.  I spent 9 weeks going through the other 8 tours and coming up on 3 weeks for Tour 9.  I have changed clubs, balls, it doesn't matter.  Basically I $uck at Tour 9.  :)

#507 Thinjake

Thinjake

• Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:46 PM

I had massive trouble on tour 7...the breezed through 8 and 9.  Now I have been stuck on 10 for over a month!  Just when i think I am about to bust about (two days ago), everyone I play against starts holing out with long irons and woods and then I get smakced back down.  

#508 dylangc

dylangc

• Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:51 PM

OK glad I'm not the only one. But wow, I spent months going through tours 1-8!! Grind grind grind...

Bdun, as Jonas says, it's really situation dependent. The course, wind, terrain, clubs, ball, etc all could play a part in your decision. My method is to try different drives, layups, etc for each hole while I'm learning it to see what makes sense, and what works for me. And I watch opponents shots to see what works for them. You may find shots that are better for getting close to the hole and shots that are better for a hole out chance. For par 3s the guardian works well to stop the ball right at the hole, but there are a few that I've had better luck rolling up to, so I use a mix. And with tailwind I may like my chance of rolling a BB up to the hole more than I like an underpowered guardian shot. Or maybe not.

As you probably noticed with that juniper point shootout discussion, different players have different methods that work for them.

#509 Jonas

Jonas

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:54 PM

I prefer rolling, I’m sniper, backbone and hornet over guardian, saturn and say thorn.

But on some tours and some shootouts a high level backspin club will give you a clear edge.

Edited by Jonas, 14 February 2018 - 07:56 PM.

#510 Bdun111

Bdun111

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 08:59 PM

Thanks. Jonas, so the bag shows the line bouncing three times, and a tad more. Learning something new everyday, the 3.4, refers to the bounce? I thought the line was for decoration and the number just meant, the higher the better accuracy. I have a Sniper 8, but I really can't get a good grasp on using it, for shorter shots. I can put my Guardian anywhere i want, pretty much. Maybe I just need to adjust for lack of BS, with Sniper. I agree, I have seen really experienced players shot the same hole different ways, different clubs, all with the same result. Practice, practice, practice.

#511 Jonas

Jonas

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:10 PM

Thanks. Jonas, so the bag shows the line bouncing three times, and a tad more. Learning something new everyday, the 3.4, refers to the bounce? I thought the line was for decoration and the number just meant, the higher the better accuracy. I have a Sniper 8, but I really can't get a good grasp on using it, for shorter shots. I can put my Guardian anywhere i want, pretty much. Maybe I just need to adjust for lack of BS, with Sniper. I agree, I have seen really experienced players shot the same hole different ways, different clubs, all with the same result. Practice, practice, practice.

The line is just for decoration, i think. Sniper 10 has a ballguide of 4.5, but the line only shows 3 bounces.

Edit: Actually the number IS the number of bounces shown.

Edited by Jonas, 15 February 2018 - 01:20 AM.

#512 Jonas

Jonas

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:40 PM

Isn't it weird how we stay in a specific coin range? Or is that just me? I'm on tour 10 and for the longest time I hovered between3 30-45M coin, then I jumped up and hovered between 60-80, then i went above 100. Now I'm hovering between 130-160M coin, up and down like a jojo. 

#513 Sonicblast12

Sonicblast12

Forum Addict

• Members
  • 1019 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 01:15 AM

Oof, I’m rusty. Haven’t played tour 11 in several days and getting my head kicked in again.

#514 Jak65

Jak65

Forum Addict

• Members
  • 1056 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 11:13 PM

I finally figured out why people stretch their target well past the hole before taking their shot....I thought they were just trying to psych me out, but turns out that's how you tell whether to use max/mid/min formula for rings....I feel like an idiot, and I apologize to those I outwardly scoffed, although you didn't hear me.

#515 HipKip

HipKip

• Members
  • 283 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 11:53 PM

I finally figured out why people stretch their target well past the hole before taking their shot....I thought they were just trying to psych me out, but turns out that's how you tell whether to use max/mid/min formula for rings....I feel like an idiot, and I apologize to those I outwardly scoffed, although you didn't hear me.

Before I started learning the ring system, I thought they were nuts also!

#516 Sonicblast12

Sonicblast12

Forum Addict

• Members
  • 1019 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 12:20 AM

I’m sure some will hate this post, but it sucks when the apoc is in the shop and you’re above level 5. Makes you want to make some bad decisions, and it still won’t be even close to level 6.

#517 Jak65

Jak65

Forum Addict

• Members
  • 1056 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 12:28 AM

I’m sure some will hate this post, but it sucks when the apoc is in the shop and you’re above level 5. Makes you want to make some bad decisions, and it still won’t be even close to level 6.

#realworldproblems  :P

#518 golfreak12

golfreak12

Honored Member

• Members
  • 952 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 03:45 AM

Yup been doing the ring thing fora while and I just figured this out like 2 weeks ago.

#519 wontootree

wontootree

• Members
  • 480 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 06:05 AM

Only a few people are doing it for that advanced reason. The rest are just using it to see where their ball will land if they full over power it. I had no idea why people were doing it until I had already maxed out tour 7 or 8.

#520 Heb

Heb

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 09:47 AM

I play 2 accounts - one on an iPhone and the other on an iPad. I'm beginning to wonder if constantly switching between the screen sizes actually creates a problem that isn't necessary. Anyone else play in two formats and would like to comment?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users